Custom Search

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Blog #5: My Credibility In Question Part 1

      "Justin, I was forwarded this site for your blogs and I am glad that I got to read this because I have been familiar with southern california high school baseball for almost 20 years now and it would be an honor for me to stand up for your high school head coach.
From what I remember, as a head coach, he won over 200 games (200 more than you have ever won in your career). This includes a period of time in the mid 90's when he went three straight seasons without losing a game. Doesn't seem to bad to me. There are different ways to be a successful coach. No matter what anyone says about how he coached the team, he was a successful coach. Just because he did not follow the guidelines of the way you were taught in recent years does not give you the right to post that he did things the wrong way. There are different ways to coach, different strategies, and different ways to handle situations as well as players. But you wouldnt know that because you have never been the skipper. And until you are, I wouldn't publically criticize anyone because you have no credibility. What gives you the right to say what is a good conditioning amount or what is a good practice structure?? What makes you think that you know everything about coaching already??"

 

      This was a recent comment I received from an anonymous writer expressing his feelings about my high school coach and that I shouldn’t publicly criticize anyone because I have “no credibility”. In my reply I told him that he brought up some great points and that I was going to write my next blog to address his concerns. I might have been a little bold and going out on a limb by saying the things I said, but I stand by them. That being said, I am not saying at all that I know everything about coaching by any means. The whole point of this blog is to make everyone aware of how important the mental game is in baseball and in life in general, and how it changed the way I played the game, learning how to be more competitive and consistent. Not even Big League Organizations have figured out the secret to being more consistent. The only organization that I know that have sports psyches working with players is the Cleveland Indians, and that just started happening within the last few years, so the results have yet to be seen. I am simply here, writing the story of my career and how learning the mental game has affected it. So if I use an example of what my experience has been during high school, I hope no one takes it personally when I tell it as it is. Indeed my coach was very knowledgeable about the game and had some success, but let me ask this question: How many CIF Championship rings does my coach possess in his long career??  Just because one’s winning percentage is favorable does not necessarily make that person a successful coach. I am not saying that my high school coach wasn’t a successful coach because he did have a great career, but there was definitely room to improve. 

      Now, this person says I have no credibility. Since I have written this blog, I have received a few critical comments on my credibility because I have never technically coached my own team. But this simple fact does not in any way discredit my ability to dissect the knowledge I have received over the years from some of the greatest players and coaches ever in the game. Here are just some of the players and coaches I’ve had the grand privilege of being able to soak up what they’ve had to offer: I started private lessons at the age of 10 with Nez Balelo (former Big Leaguer with Mariners and scout for Braves, and now a successful sports agent) and continued with their academy (West Coast Baseball) until college; John Jackson (father of Big Leaguer Conor Jackson) and Mike Boyd (former minor leaguer and father of minor leaguer Chad boyd) played significant roles in my success as they coached me at various times throughout Pony League; throughout high school I was also coached by former Big League greats Bret Saberhagen and Marc Gubicza. These two great Major League players had 14 and 16 year careers respectively. If you are not familiar with these players I suggest you take an opportunity to look them up; Rick Allen (former minor leaguer and now scout for the Pittsburg Pirates) was my assistant high school coach; Jon Bushart (cousin of Big Leaguer Jon Garland and former minor leaguer who now is one of the most noted and successful private pitching coaches in the San Fernando Valley) helped me the fall before I went to Fullerton; D.J. Carrasco (Current Big League reliever for the White Sox) became my mentor for about a month while we were both rehabbing in Tuscon, teaching me everything there is to the physics of a baseball; and finally the Fullerton Coaching Staff, including Ted Silva ( legendary All- American Fullerton pitcher who played for the USA team in ’94 and posted an amazing nation leading 18-1 record with 6 saves to lead his team to our 3rd National Championship. Unfortunately his career was ended short due to injury. He is now currently the pitching coach for UC Irvine.), Bill Kernan (Former head coach for Cal St Northridge and now the current head coach for Cal St. Bakersfield. Coach Kernan taught me how to become the most competitive SOB out on the mound.), Jason Gil (Former Titan player on the ’95 Championship team who is now the head coach for Loyola Marymount. Gilly gave me a second chance and kept me at Fullerton for a second year, something that I will be forever grateful.), Rick Vanderhook (Assistant coach for over 20 years under Auggie Garrido and George Horton. He is a big reason for my success, as I eventually learned that if you could deal with the “wrath of Hookie”, you could pretty much deal with anything that came my way out on the mound. We might not have seen eye to eye all of the times, but is a damn fine coach and I love him.) As I am sitting here writing about my coaches, tears are rolling down my face reminiscing about the greatest memories I’ve ever had and would give anything to be able to do it again!!! George Horton (One of the greatest coaches to ever coach college baseball. The back- to- back National Coach of the Year won his first championship in 2004, and I can almost guarantee there will be more to come. Coach Horton is the reason why I aspire to be a head coach at the D1 level. He simply inspires when he speaks. And I’ll tell you something else… I did not just sit there and twiddle my thumbs while Coach Horton would have his 45 minute speeches. I soaked up every piece of knowledge that this legend had to offer, which is why I feel I have the qualifications to be writing this blog.). And finally, maybe the single reason why I was able to pitch with a broken shin successfully for two months, legendary sports psychologist Ken Ravizza. Ravizza transformed the way I ticked, changing the way I prepared for games and practices. This man for all who don’t know is the founding father of the mental game. He began in the 60’s working with NFL football players, soon moving on to U.S. Olympians, followed by some time working exclusively with the Angels, and now is so famous in his industry that he works when he chooses to with various top professional athletes all over the world. Ravizza has also begun teaching at Cal St. Fullerton after working with the Angels, and soon became a significant part of the Titans success. In the fall of ’07, I took his Sports Psych class, which took my game to a whole new level. This is why I feel I am qualified to teach these skills. With this class, along with reading his book several times and his exclusive tutelage with our team for the year and half I was there, I have been able to use this knowledge in my private lessons for the past 2 years. The results speak for themselves. One of my most consistent clients magically made his first all- star team this year solely as a pitcher!!! Not many kids accomplish this at his age. He is only 10 years old and batted last on his team, but he somehow made the team. He was their team’s starter and one of the only games he pitched poorly was when I was umpiring. Naturally he got a little nervous trying to impress his pitching coach. The point is that all this kid needed to take his game to the next level was a mental adjustment. Before I started working with him, he was shy and didn’t know how to put 100% of his energy into every pitch and swing. Granted his mechanics needed a little work, but they are still nowhere near perfect. The difference in his equation for success was simply upstairs. This kid is not the hardest thrower in the league by any means, but now his average fastball is a plus pitch because nearly every time he delivers, there is 100% effort behind it. When you look at his demeanor now, his face says, “don’t mess with meeeee!!!!!”  

2 comments:

  1. Douglas Nathan BurnsJuly 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM

    Hi Justin, it’s your friend Douglas Nate Burns. I left the comment in your #4 blog and wanted to follow up and complement you on your honesty and integrity in your most recent posting. You are a man of honor and I believe people should have the upmost respect for you due to your off-field heroics and triumphant career. Could you address the topic of steroids and illegal drugs, ex. Marijuana in your next article? Please continue to write with your heart, and reflect on our personal experiences, they tend to be the best. Stay strong my friend. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Douglas, I may have gotten a little sidetracked the last two blogs about other topics besides my own personal experiences, but the next few will definitely be about my own personal encounters with this wonderful game. As far as addressing the topic of steroids and illegal drug use in the game of baseball, that will come later on when I start running out of topics concerning more with teaching players and coaches the mental game. I do agree however that this topic should be discussed, as it has gravely affected the game and its integrity. If for some reason you need me to write about these topics sooner than later, maybe you can convince me, but I assure you that they will eventually addressed. Thank you for all your kind words and don't forget about the second part to this week's blog which will be posted sometime Wednesday night, but definitely before work starts Thursday.

    ReplyDelete