Custom Search

Friday, July 17, 2009

Just Wanted To Say...

     I just received a disturbing phone call from my former high school teammate who thought I went a little overboard on the third post about my head coach from high school. It even got to me emotionally as I pretty much broke down in tears. He felt it was a complete bashing, when all I was trying to do was give an example of how a coach can lose control of his team. Again, I want to reiterate that I love my high school coach more than he probably knows. He had my back during a difficult period of time when most people would have just left me in the dumpster to rot. I will never forget what he did for me and the whole world will soon know how wonderful a person that he is. I want to apologize personally to my coach if he took what I wrote personally. He does know the game of baseball and has had a very successful coaching career in which I hope he continues his career for a long time. All in all, he always had the best interests of the players, even if, looking back now at the age of 25, I thought that the practice structure and work out schedule could have been a little more demanding. My teammate made me realize that most high school programs are run this way and that is why I want to change it. I have had hundreds of coaches throughout my career and my high school coach was definitely NOT anywhere near the bottom. I just feel that we had a very talented team in which our full potential was not met. Whether it was my coaches fault or the fault of the individual players on the team who did not work hard enough to reach their full potential, we had a team that could have won CIF. I may have gone a little overboard and touched a very sensitive line, but that was simply the way I feel and I will never retract my personal feelings. Today just made me realize that there are going to be a lot of people out there who enjoy my openness, but there will be those who take it personally. The bigger message is that there needs to be a revamping of the way things are run on the baseball field and life in general. Please take my example for what it is and not a personal vendetta to my coach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment