Custom Search

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blog #8: From Snowball to Avalanche Part 2

It was a long seven- hour bus ride from San Luis Obispo to San Diego. Before we checked into the hotel, we stopped by the Palomar Junior College ball field to analyze the grounds and see where we would be playing for the first time. I didn’t know it at the time, but when we left to check into the hotel, it’d be the last time I would ever step on that field again. I remember this vividly in particular after arriving at the hotel. We got off the bus, sorted out all of the bags, and received our room keys. I was staying with two of my actual roommates whom I was very close. It became a whole ordeal getting to our rooms with 25 anxious guys all trying to get on the single elevator at the same time. When the elevator came back down, I almost made it on, but there was only enough room for my two bags but not me. I asked my roommate to just kick them off at our floor and I was going to take the stairs. We only had a short period of time to get settled and back to the bus for a few hours of practice. I was very tired and not looking forward to practicing.

After cursing myself the whole way up the five flights of stairs, I turned the corner to find that my bags were not there. My heart began racing and a warm sensation overwhelmed my body. Fighting with every fiber of my being not to erupt, I made my way down every floor, finally finding them on the second floor. This time I took the elevator up to my room. Finally finding it, I kicked the door open, instantly firing accusations at my friends for their practical joke. I had been used to these types of pranks growing up,, but they had picked the wrong day. Except it wasn’t my teammates who were the perpetrators, it turned out to be Sweetness. As soon as I learned that it was my pitching coach pulling my chain, I snapped. The small snowball that began forming at the top of the mountain had eventually turned into an unstoppable avalanche. I had announced to my two teammates and close friends that I was quitting right then and there. One of them began getting disconcerted with my actions and verbal blows were flying everywhere. It was a very disturbing scene, as I began throwing lamps and even the phone. The phone inadvertently almost hit my friend. I had lost it. I had lost the desire to play the game I once loved. I had lost the will to continuously sacrifice my life and body for this sport.

I called my grandfather, who lived five minutes down the road, and asked him to pick me up. I was sitting on the curb waiting for my grandpa, watched my team drive by going to practice, when I got this sudden urge to rip up my jersey, write in permanent ink things that are inappropriate for this blog, and put it on my pitching coach’s windshield. My team would go on to lose a critical game in the best of three game series, which I would later find out my coach wanted me to start. We lost the series and to this day, I still feel guilty about letting my teammates and friends down, something that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Justin,

    Just wanted to let you know that I've been reading your blog and am extremely intrigued with what you have been writing. I am currently a Head Varsity Baseball Coach and have surprisingly found different areas of agreement among your blogs. Even though I have disagreed with some of what you have posted, I admire your aspiration and confidence towards one day becoming a successful baseball coach at some level. Before I ask my questions, I need to send one piece of advice your way: Don't bite the hand that fed you! I did not like the way you verbally bashed your ex-high school coach. Even though everything you said regarding that coach was probably very evident, you should of found a better way to describe your insight towards his coaching abilities and discipline. But I do acknowledge and appreciate your blog where you apologized if your words towards your ex-coach were misconstrued.
    Once again, I enjoy reading your blogs and look forward to hearing your suggestions and different philosophies regarding the rigorous game of baseball.
    #1. Looking back on the situation that occurred at the hotel that day, what do you feel bad about the most?
    #2. Do you feel like you disrespected the game of baseball by ripping up your jersey and writing on it?(I only say that because that probably upset your head coach more than that assistant and your head coach sounded like he played no significant role in your ultimate meltdown)
    #3. Now that you would like to be a high-end coach, I would like you to answer this question as if you are already that coach:
    Do you think your coach should have benched you the day you were two minutes late? (I only ask this because while reading that blog, I got the impression that you were making excuses to why you were late. If you do become a successful coach one day, you'll quickly learn that there is absolutely no room for excuses)
    #4. Did you ever talk to those friends from the hotel room again? If so, did you feel the need to apologize? Did you even feel any remorse for acting out the way you did towards your "friends"?
    Look forward to your upcoming blogs and good luck on your future endeavors.

    Coach Garcia

    ReplyDelete